Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Getting a job

So now is the time to start applying for jobs as a full time nurse. Currently, I have applied to my small town hospital, as well as the big-city hospital that I happen to live nearby.

Both offer positions, both offer the graduate guarantee in the emergency department. (The graduate guarantee is a government initiative to help new grads get full time work immediately after graduation. Ideally after the trial period they are offered full time at the hospital, in the specialty for which they have been mentored.)

Unfortunately, the 1 job is in town, and the other is 40 minutes away. So far I haven't' minded the commute that much, but when they are equally offering the same salary, it would be hard to turn down a job that is so close to home. Especially when gas prices are fairly high, and kilometers get racked up on my car.

However I'm torn because I have felt very welcome in the small emergency department. I see what staffing issues they have and I really want to help, especially since they have been so great to me. However, can I afford the commute, time and money wise? Am I getting the experience I need from a small town hospital, so that later I could work in the bigger center?

On the other hand, if I do get the job in the big city, will I be able to get a full time job once the Graduate Guarantee is over? Some of the people who went through that program didn't get offered full time and now are applying to the smaller hospital.

I really don't know what I will do if I'm offered a position at both places. I know I am ahead of myself, because I JUST applied yesterday, yet from what I hear they want to have things settled by mid-late February.

I'll keep posting updates. In the meantime, any thoughts?

No comments: