Wednesday, August 6, 2008

FINALLY

I have started to see some action in the ED.

If you have ever read any of the ED med-blogs out there, you may have heard that the ED is roughly 90% of slow, non acute times, with 10% of holy shit factor. My ratio lately has been about 98% slow, 2% holy shit.

However, the tide has turned and in the last few shifts I've had a VSA/trauma, sudden angioedema's, and multiple OD's with significant risk factors. The ED itself has also had a tropical animal bite (with the animal coming with the patient to the ED, as they had caught it to show proof), which is interesting.

Overall, finally my chance to strengthen my abilities in resus has begun.

OH something to be proud of (at least for me): I was able to get a large bore IV into a resuscitative patient today. It was the 2nd IV to be initiated (we already had 1 line) so they felt I could have a shot. I did it on my first try, and it didn't take me 10 minutes!

Sad that the misfortunes of others (aka the patients) allows me to have a good day at work. I'm a sicko.

On another note: it's interesting how simple a positive patient-nurse interaction can be, and how much it can really make a difference to a patient.

No comments: