Thursday, March 5, 2009

You get what you ask for.

You know when you get so busy that you have no desire to do anything but laze around and sleep? That has been my life lately. I feel like I'm drowning a bit, and although I like my work I don't want to go back. I need a vacation.


As you can see it’s been a while since my previous posts. Work has been insane lately. Slowly but surely I have become a ‘shit magnet’, with STEMI’s and Aortic tears and sepsis patients arriving and end up being taken care of by yours truly. I enjoy the heavy stuff so that’s not the problem. The problem is that we’re short nurses lately and it seems as though all the sick people are coming in all at the same time… literally.


One night in our 3 bed resuscitation room we had one person actively seizing, one septic patient needing intubation, pressors and transfer across town to the other hospital’s ICU (no beds in ours… seriously), one patient who was unresponsive, and one who was having crushing chest pain. Yes, that’s right, 4 patients. Not to mention that the rest of the emerg was clogged with admitted patients, and there was only 1 RN assigned to the whole room. I wasn’t even supposed to be helping, but after I did my initial assessments on my patients at change of shift, I went in to help out. Chaos, I tell you, chaos.


Our shifts start around 7pm, and we didn’t’ get any form of break or relief until after 2am. It was THAT busy.


That’s just a start of the insanity. More to follow.

No comments: