Friday, January 23, 2009

Happy RN

No rants today, or lately, which is why I haven't posted in a while.

I have been actually happy with my shifts. They have been both medically interesting, as well as challenging enough that I have to think a lot of my plan for the patients.

I can even say that my organization skills are improving. My patients are getting the care they need, when they need it. Before I was on my own, I was still struggling with that. However, mostly I think I was frustrated because I wanted to test myself and there would typically be a 'mentor' who wouldn't back off and let me try.

I know I'm new: I'm new to nursing, and I only have 1 year of experience with Emerg. However, the stuff I DO know, I know well. I try to be a sponge. I ask questions if I don't know something. I get senior nurses to show me equipment that I'm not comfortable with.

I don't have as many questions as I used to, and I'm proud of that. I see repetitive patterns. I also learn from my mistakes.

Last night for example, one of my patients was nauseated and was in a collar from a fall. The patient would need log rolling if she vomited. I was on guard. However, this patient stated she was nauseated just before she went to CT. Our CT is not in the department, they have to go with porter to second floor. I made the right decision to go with the patient to protect her airway, but I didn't think to grab some Gravol first. Next time, I would definitely grab some and administer it before we go! Everything ended up fine (aka no vomiting) but it was a definite lesson learned!

No comments: